A baby shower is a way to celebrate the pending or recent birth of a child by presenting gifts to the parents at a party. There is no set rule for when or where showers are to be held. The number of guests and style of entertainment are determined by the host.
Most hosts invite only women to baby showers, although there is no firm rule requiring this. Showers typically include food but not a full meal and are often an morning or afternoon tea event. We have a great range of baby shower invites and suggested baby shower wording.
Below we have listed the most popular baby shower games to play during the baby shower;
1) Guess Mom's Tummy Size: (Materials- String or yarn and scissors) Have each woman pull the yarn to the size they believe would fit perfectly around the Mother-To-Be's center of her pregnant tummy. After everyone cuts their string, compare the results to the Mommy-To-Be's actual tummy. Give a prize to the woman who is the most close! This is a baby shower favorite.
2) Never say "Baby": (Materials- baby safety pins or another type of baby object you can place on a string for each woman at the party as well as string or yarn, enough for each woman to wear as a necklace). Have each woman place the necklace with the baby safety pins around her neck when she gets to the party. The rules for this baby shower game are given out at the beginning of the baby shower that whenever someone says the word "baby" during the shower, any woman who calls it out gets a pin from the other woman who stated the word. At the end of the baby shower, the woman with the most pins wins a prize.
3) How Many Baby Items Can You Name: (Materials- pad of paper and pen for each woman). Have each woman write down as many baby products as they can name (bottle, blanket, pacifier, etc) within 5 minutes. Sure it is easy at the beginning, but towards the last few minutes, the women will start racking their brains for more. Give a prize to the woman who gets the most baby products named!
4) Who Can Make The Mother-To-Be's Baby: (Materials - Baby magazines, Scissors, Glue, Paper). Have the women group up into teams of 3 and give each 3 baby magazines. Have them cut out pieces of different baby qualities and put together a picture of what they think the Mother-To-Be's baby will look like. Have the Mother-To-Be pick which baby would possibly look like hers the best.! Give prizes to the winning team!
5) Guess How Many Safety Pins: (Materials- Safety Pins and Jar). Pass around a jar full of baby safety pins. The one who guesses the closest wins a baby shower prize. A baby shower game favorite!
6) Place The Baby On The Mommy: (Materials- Cutouts of a baby with tape and blindfold). Blindfold each participant and then give them a paper baby to then approach the mom and place the baby as close to the tummy as possible. The one who gets closest to placing the paper baby on the pregnant tummy wins.
7) Baby Bingo: (Materials- Pens, Pre-Printed Bingo cards that use the numbers of how many people attend the baby shower) Prior to opening the baby shower gifts, number each gift on the box starting with one. If you know that 15 people will be attending your shower, pre-print bingo cards with numbers 1 through 15 and randomly place them on 15 cards. When the mommy-to-be's decides to open the presents, she grabs the present she wants to open and reads the number out loud. As soon as someone receives bingo, they win the baby shower game and the baby shower prize.
8) Guess the baby item: (Materials- any baby products and blindfold). A bag of baby items are placed in front of the mother-to-be for her to take one item out at a time blindfolded and tell her baby shower guests what item she has in her hands.
9) Finish the Baby Rhyme: (Materials- baby rhyme game or a book containing the rhymes). Have the host read out loud a part of the rhyme to be finished by the other women. Let's see how many Baby Shower Guests can finish the following Rhymes we have all grown up with:
1) Mary had a little lamb, it's _____________ was white as snow.
2) Baa, baa, black sheep, have you any _____________?
3) Mary, Mary, quite _____________, how does your garden grow?
4) Rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a tub, and how do you think ____________ _____________ ____________?
5) Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, _________________ ________________!
6) Little Jack Horner, sat in a corner, eating his ______________ pie;
7) Little Miss Muffet, sat on a tuffet, eating her ________________ and _______________.
8) Peter Piper picked a peck of ____________ _____________.
9) One, two, buckle my shoe, three four, _____________ at the door.
10) Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater, had a wife but couldn't ____________ her.
11) Old Mother Hubbard, went to the _______________.
12) There was an old woman, who lived in a _______________.
13) Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no ___________.
14) Hey diddle, diddle, the ____________ and the fiddle.
15) Rock-a-bye baby, on the __________________.
Here are the answers below to the questions. It is great to give the winner a baby shower small gift for participating. Read the answers that people have put out loud since you will have some funny ones.
||4) they got there
||5) Baker's man
||7) curds, whey
||8) pickled peppers
10) Guess the baby pictures: Ask for everyone's pictures prior to the baby shower. Have all the pictures in a collage and make lines for people to fill in who they think the babies are out of the girls at the baby shower. If most women don't know each other, just have the pictures of the mother, mother-in-law, sisters, and mommy-to-be. See how many people guess right. You can make copies of the baby picture collage to see how many can guess right!
11) Baby Scrambler: Choose around 25 baby related items and scramble the spelling. For instance, pacifier can be changed to reiifpca. Have the women unscramble the words. The one who gets the most right in 5 min receives a baby shower prize.
12) Baby Song List: (Materials - pad of paper and pen for each woman). Have each woman write down in 5 minutes all the songs that have baby in their titles (i.e., baby love, santa baby, one for my baby). You can make it harder by stating that you have to name who also wrote the songs!
13) Pass the Dirty Diaper: (Materials- diaper, chocolate, music player). One of our "dirtiest" baby shower games is for the host to take a diaper that has been "fixed" with warm chocolate in the right place and have the woman pass it to the woman next to them (make sure everyone is in a circle). When the host stops the music, whomever is holding the diaper is out of the game.
14) Place the pacifier in the babies mouth: (Materials- blindfold, create a baby picture and a few pacifier drawnings with one for each woman). Tape a picture or drawing of a baby on the wall and have the blindfolded women try to tape the pacifier as close to the mouth of the baby as possible (The baby shower version of Pin The Tail on the Donkey).
15) Blindfold Diapering: (Materials- blindfold, baby lifesize doll(s), diapers). One of the funniest baby shower games is for the women break into teams (up to five persons per team). Each team has a doll, blindfold and diapers. The object is for each participant to place the blindfold on, take the current diaper off the doll and place the new one on while blindfolded. After the first person finshes diapering, they run to the next team-mate who places the blindfold on and has to do the same. The first team to finish diapering wins!
16) Baby Tic-Tac-Toe: (Materials- Large paper or erasable board to make the tic-tac-toe board, writing utensil, and baby facts). People are broken up in teams and have to answer a question about a baby fact. If they get the answer right, they get to choose a space (like the classic tic-tac-toe game).
17) Baby Alphabet Game - Give each woman at the baby shower a pen and a piece of paper that has the alphabet written vertically down the left side of the page. The object of the game is for the woman to write one word that has to do with babies next to each letter of the alphabet. Set a timer for two minutes and whoever has the most baby words wins. (For example: A=alphabet, B=bottle, C=cuddly bear, etc).
18) Baby Pictionary - Before the baby shower, create playing cards by writing words or phrases that have to do with babies on each card. During the baby shower, divide into teams and give each team a pen or pencil and pad of paper. Each round, one person from each team views a card and draws the word or phrase for her team to guess. The team that guesses correctly first earns one point. Set a timer for two minutes to keep the game moving along. If the timer goes off before a team guesses correctly, allow someone new from each team to draw and choose a new card. After playing 5-10 rounds, each team adds up their points and the team with the most wins. A prize should be given to each person on the team. a baby shower favorite.
19) The Baby Shower Name Game - Ask each guest to choose a baby name. If the sex is not known, have the women write down the name of boy or girl. If the sex of the baby is known, have them write down both a first and middle name. When they're done, set a timer and tell them to write as many words they can by using only the letters in the names they have chosen. Whoever writes the most words wins!
20) Guess the Chocolate - (Materials- 5-10 diapers with 5-10 different types of chocolates). This game is one of the funniest and most popular baby shower games. Have the baby shower host or appointed person moderately melt 5-10 different candy bars separately, placing each one in a diaper to be viewed by everyone. Mark each diaper as A, B, C, D, etc. Have everyone guess which candy is in each of the diapers. Make sure to use some candies that have nuts, toffee, caramel, etc. You are sure to get great laughs!
Something to add?
We would love to hear from you if you have any tips, advice,
or stories about your wedding experiences that we could add to
our site. Please email us at